05 November 2010

Shrimp Bisque

Sometimes, when I'm home alone, I make fancy dishes that are totally reasonable to make for one, but outrageously expensive and over the top experimental for a family of five. Most of these experimental dishes involve seafood because, well, while my life's love will eat whatever I fix, I try to avoid seafood because I'm a nice guy and want her to be happy. So, tonight was Shrimp Bisque, based ever so loosely (and I mean loosely—I didn't like Rombauer's version at all and I had to fix it in a big way) the recipe in The Joy of Cooking. It's amazing my way, although it might be just a touch on the chowder side.


Shrimp Bisque
loosely adapted from The Joy of Cooking
serves 4

1 1/2 pounds of cooked shrimp
6 Tbs butter
2 Tbsp shredded onion
2 Tbsp flour
3 cups warm milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika

Melt butter over medium low heat in a large saucepan; add onions and cook 5 minutes. In the meantime, put shrimp and 1 cup of milk in the blender and pulverize those babies. I suppose you could leave them a little chunky, but I, personally, did not love the larger pieces. When onion is cooked, add flour and stir to combine. Add all milk and shrimp, and stir to heat, bringing just to the boiling point to thicken. Add cream and seasoning to taste, being careful not to boil it. Serve garnished with chopped scallions or parsley.


To add a pastry lid, a la family reunion 09, preheat oven to 425˚ and roll pie crust to 1/8" thick. Cut circles approximately 1" larger than your bowls. Spoon each serving into an overproof bowl set on a cookie sheet. Brush the bowl rims with water, and place a circle of pastry loosely over each one, sealing the edges by pressing down. If you don't seal the edges, it won't puff. Beat together 1 egg and 1 tsp water, and brush the top of the pastry with it. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, and bake for 10 minutes, or until nicely browned. I forgot to glaze mine, so it was rather dull looking, but still tasted excellent. Serve on a plate, because those bowl are now steamy hot!

No comments: