02 June 2009

Mayonnaise

I've been dying to try a homemade mayonnaise for at least a year, so today when I craved tuna but my sister had only Miracle Whip in the cooler (I don't actually believe in Miracle Whip, therefore it doesn't exist to me), I decided it was time to slowly stream some oil into some whirring egg.  I searched for a basic, easy recipe and came across this one.  Because the food processor had a strange reaction, I only added about 2/3 of the oil, so my resulting mayonnaise was rich with egg, almost like a deli sandwich spread.  I suspect that with full oil and processing it would be a bit lighter and a touch less flavorful, but ultimately more like mayonnaise.  I'll likely find another I like better, but I'm a fan of this for my first go.

Basic Mayonnaise
from The Kitchen Companion by Polly Clingerman
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground white pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 cup oil, peanut or corn
  • 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice
Place everything but the oil and lemon juice in the blender or food processor container.  Process 5 seconds in the blender or 15 seconds in the processor.  With the motor running, add the oil, firt in a frizzle, then in a thin, steady stream.  When all the oil has been added, stop the motor and taste.  Add lemon juice to taste.  If the sauce is too thick, thin with hot water or lemon juice.  If too thin, process a little longer.  Yields 1 1/4 cups.

No comments: