24 March 2011

Easy Curry Soup

I've been alone all week, so I've been having fun with delicious recipes for one. I'm not going to pretend that I'm eating like a king, because most of my meals are just some iteration of roasted brussels sprouts. I'm greedily consuming as many as I can and enjoying the combination of late winter cruciferous goodness and early spring asparagus. Tonight, however, I decided on something different, and used some of our delicious homemade stock to work a little 10 minute magic. Aside from the shrimp, this is a leftover soup, and I loved it.

Actually, in the spirit of full disclosure, I'm loving it at this very moment.

Easy Shrimp Curry Soup

1 tbsp butter
4-6 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 pound raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 tsp red curry paste (adjust for preference)
1-6" stalk lemon grass, pounded so it burst/shreds
1 quart chicken stock or broth
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a pot, then add mushrooms. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until soft, then add shelled shrimp and cook until done. Add curry paste, and stir to distribute and coat the meat and veggies. Add stock and lemongrass, bring to a boil, and simmer for about 8 minutes. Remove the hunk of lemongrass, season to taste, and serve.

**Notes:
  • Adjust curry paste to taste. I used 1 tsp, and it was just the right amount of spicy for today's mood. I might feel differently tomorrow.
  • No lemongrass? Squeeze fresh lemon over the finished product.
  • Not into shrimp? Use diced chicken breast or thigh, or go veggie with broccoli.
  • Like noodles? Go for it.

No comments: