Curried Coconut Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2" chunks
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk [or lite coconut milk]
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can stewed, diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp sugar
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil and curry in a large covered skillet or pot over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Stir in onion and garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil. Reduce heat to medium and cook 7-10 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink. Pour coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan and stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally 30-40 minutes.
- I often thicken the sauce by removing the cover during the last 10 minutes or so of cooking.
- This is even better second day after the flavors have melded and sauce thickened.